What is FUPAs
FUPA became a meme when Beyoncé talked about her pregnancy in Vogue’s September issue that left her with a little FUPA. Pubic fat in the mons, the area below the belly button, can be incredibly difficult and even impossible to target and remove with just exercise and diet. For some, even intense lower abs exercise will never resolve the stubborn fat in their FUPA; this could be because of a genetic predisposition. Using SmartLipo Triplex with Renuvion for Skin Tightening, Imagen can remove that bulge in your lower belly fat in under two hours.
What does FUPA stand for?
The acronym FUPA (Fatty Upper Pubic Area) is a slang term for the fatty tissue above the pubic bone.
What is a FUPA actually called?
The actual term is panniculus or mons pubis.
Is a FUPA normal?
FUPA is very common, especially in cases of obesity or after a tummy tuck and some liposuction procedures. It is also common to develop a FUPA with aging, as skin laxity increases. In extreme cases it can lead to higher risk for yeast infections and urinary problems in men.
What does a FUPA feel like?
Being made of fatty tissue, a FUPA is generally squishy and soft.
What is the difference between a FUPA and a belly?
A “belly” is typically composed of mostly visceral fat, beneath the muscle wall, which causes the abdomen to protrude out. This is especially common after childbirth, when the muscles have been stretched. A FUPA is mostly subcutaneous fat, which is why it feels squishy…there’s no firm muscle over the top.
How to Get Rid of FUPA – Fat Upper Pubic Area Liposuction
- Using a local anesthesia technique, called tumescence, which combines a mild sedative and a local anesthetic, patients can expect a completely relaxed experience during the surgery for FUPA..
- FUPA liposuction is a minimally invasive procedure that requires only two incisions, one on each side of the pubic mound in the groin crease.
- Smart Lipo uses cannulas that are only 3mm wide, meaning that the incisions are so small that you won’t even need stitches after you remove the excess fat cells.
- With the combined use of Smart Lipo and a light sedative, patients can communicate easily with the surgical staff during the whole surgery.
- Patients walk out of the clinic shortly after their procedure and are typically back to work in just 2-3 days.
Who’s A Good Candidate For FUPA Liposuction?
- Both women and men can be candidates for FUPA liposuction.
- Slim men or women with genetic predisposition to storing fat in the lower abdomen.
- Previously overweight individuals who have had abdomen or tummy tuck/abdominoplasty surgeries. Often weight loss (especially rapid weight loss) can lead to some excess skin or loose skin in the area. General obesity can certainly lead to FUPA fat storage, but if your BMI is over 30, you may not get an ideal result from your liposuction.
- Mommy Pooch: Pregnancy can cause overall weight gain, but it can also result in an overabundance of fat, particularly in the FUPA region. Many women have increased skin laxity post pregnancy, leading to the dreaded mommy pouch. C-section can also lead to a tucking above the mons pubis, which can accentuate a FUPA.
What is the Downtime for FUPA Liposuction?
SmartLipo is a gentle procedure that requires minimal recovery/downtime. Most patients can resume everyday practices within approximately just 2-3 days.
- Refrain from intense physical activity following the surgical procedure, but you should be up and moving about right after your procedure.
- Two to three days after the cosmetic surgery, you can enjoy light exercise (nothing high impact).
- Eat a balanced and healthy diet.
- Drink 3 liters to a gallon of water each day and avoid added salt intake.
- Wear compression garments as directed by your doctor.
- Take any prescribed medications as directed by your surgeon.
Common Recovery Symptoms for FUPA Liposuction
Below are some of the most common side effects that FUPA liposuction patients experience:
- Swelling – The FUPA is a delicate area of the body; some swelling can be expected. Swelling in this region may last for as long as 3-6 months.
- Bruising – Bruising is also typical after liposuction, and patients can expect to see some bruising, which will gradually disappear throughout the recovery period.
- Often the bruising and swelling can migrate down because of the effects of gravity. It is normal and common to have swelling in the labia for women or scrotum for men. This will resolve without treatment, but if you have any issues passing urine be sure to let your surgeon know.
- Discomfort in the upper pubic area -The FUPA may be sore for the first few days to a week after surgery. This discomfort resembles a deep bruise and you will likely have associated tenderness in the area. Your surgeon will prescribe pain medication to ensure your comfort.
- Changes in menstruation – Some women may experience menstruation changes after having upper pubic area liposuction. The recovery process differs from patient-to-patient.
Are there Alternatives to Liposuction for FUPA Reduction?
General weight loss/fat loss and cardio exercise (such as HIIT) can burn fat and help with reducing a FUPA. General weight loss by creating a calorie deficit can help by reducing all-over body fat, including the FUPA. Cortisol is well known to stimulate fat storage in the visceral fat of the belly, so controlling your stress levels can also help to reduce belly fat. Processed foods are generally calorie dense and nutrient poor. Fresh foods with an abundance of fruits and vegetables is generally the healthiest way to lose weight. Abdominal exercises can help with toning the area.
What exercises can get rid of my FUPA?
Unfortunately, there aren’t really any specific exercises that you can do to target the pubic region for fat reduction. You can definitely do crunches and work on your core muscles with pilates, but improving your abdominal muscles isn’t going to remove the fatty deposits of the FUPA, which lie over the top of the muscles. Exercises like leg raises and bicycle crunches can help to target your lower abdominal muscles. Plank position poses can also help to strengthen your core and lower back muscles.
CoolSculpting for FUPA reduction
CoolSculpting is a possibility for some patients looking to reduce the layer of fat in their FUPA. Whether you would be a good candidate for CoolSculpting will depend on the distribution of your excess fat as well as the condition of your skin. This is something you should discuss with your surgeon if you are interested in less invasive treatments for your FUPA.
Plastic Surgery for FUPA reduction
If you have a lot of loose skin in the pubic area, FUPA liposuction may not be the best treatment for you. You may get a better result with a skin resection by a plastic surgeon, such as a monsplasty or panniculectomy.
Liposuction Cost and Financing
FUPA Liposuction at the Imagen starts at $3,500, depending on the total number of areas you’re having treated. Combining multiple liposuction procedures during the same surgery will offer substantial savings. You may consider combining abdomen lipo or Lipo360 with your FUPA liposuction for cohesive results.
Are You Ready for Your FUPA Consultation?
If you are interested in learning more about Liposuction, CoolSculpting, Skin Tightening or other cosmetic treatments, please call us at 402-347-4433 to schedule a complimentary consultation. At your consultation, our team will discuss your goals and the expectations for your treatment as well as cost and financing. If you are not in Omaha, Lincoln, Council Bluffs or the surrounding metro, we do offer virtual consultations as well!.